Friday, May 27, 2011

Being Mindful of Space

The space your mat takes up, that is.

I attended a class recently that swelled beyond its cozy group of regulars, which resulted in a bit of mat shuffling and as a result one of the regulars - who judging by her demeanor had been displaced from her usual spot - decided to squeeze in to the first row between me and another member.

She wasn't crowded in the second row, by the way, but she clearly wasn't accustomed to being anywhere but the first row and seized her opportunity. As a result, the front row was uncomfortable close and the row she'd vacated become a spacious haven for two with those sandwiched into the back two rows refusing to move up and fill in.

As an yoga teacher will tell you, the back row is stubborn and will lie on top of each other before moving up and filling in. I wasn't surprised that no one jumped up to claim the vacated spot in the second row and hindsight makes me wish I'd moved back.

One thing to be aware of in a class situation - as student or teacher - is that everyone has sprawl room when necessary. It is difficult to be present in a pose when another person's arms or legs are continually in the way.

The woman who shoe-horned herself into the front row was very tall and her choice of spots - next to me - wasn't a good one as I am all arms and legs as well. Consequently, I spent a good chunk of the practice shifting up and down my mat trying to avoid hitting her or she hitting me.

In a standing class like Ashtanga or Bikram, mats close together isn't much of an issue, but it a Hatha class where a good chunk of the time could be spent in sprawling supine poses, space between mats is essential.

Eventually, I gave up and pulled my mat up ahead of the row. I hadn't wanted to because I knew it would call the woman's attention to the fact that she should have stayed where she was originally, and it might embarrass her. And it did. She hurried out at the end of class and when I encountered her on the street outside, she ducked her head and took off.

Being tall, I hug the walls and way front or way back in a class to avoid putting classmates in danger of my long limbs. In traditional Hatha and in Yin class where many of the poses are supine and involve extending arms and legs, I am careful to adjust myself so I don't intrude on someone else's practice. My success varies and I wish I could say I am zen about fellow practitioners who aren't as mindful.

Suffice to say, as a teacher, it's a good idea to survey the room for adequate space and readjust people before class begins or give them fair warning of upcoming poses that might result in unintentionally turning asana into a contact sport. And as a student, mindfulness extends beyond your space.

Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Appreciate your views. Spam will be deleted without question and if you're having a bad .. day, year, life ... rethink b/c I am only just so "yoga" about snark for it's own sake.