Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Space of My Own

Jade, who owns the studio where I practice and teach, told me that for her, having a studio was simply about a generous space where she could practice also store all her props. Teaching was gravy. Her motto is "I will teach until they stop showing up". Healthy and totally in perspective.

I covet after every empty store front I see in our little town because, really, I just want a space to do yoga myself  and teach whoever has time and inclination to show up. But not being independently wealthy or a recent Lotto Max winner, it's unlikely that I will own a studio space of my own any time soon. Of possibly ever. Especially not here as the area is fairly maxed out in terms of teachers. Aside from Jade, the city offers a plethora of yoga classes through the community fitness center and at the library. There are two well-established studios - one being a trendy "hot" yoga option - just 15 minutes up the highway, and there are many more options in the city, if one cares to venture that far off.

Opening a studio suddenly takes my little practice space to business level, and as another teacher pointed out not long ago - "It's a lot of work."

It's also a lot of money. For rent and advertising, props and possibly renovations to make a space practice ready. Yoga isn't going to make anyone - who isn't wicked competitive  and can offer a new twist on it (see how punny I am?)- significant money.

And I am not seasoned enough to carry a studio. I am a much better teacher than I was a year ago and I improve all the time, though I credit that to just my innate teaching sense in general, but it's premature to think about a studio now.

Still, I dream of an actual space with props on hand and big windows. Ground level. Gotta stay rooted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Appreciate your views. Spam will be deleted without question and if you're having a bad .. day, year, life ... rethink b/c I am only just so "yoga" about snark for it's own sake.